I'm a software engineer, father and violinist. I have played classical violin since I was four or five and maintained a healthy love/hate relationship with my violin until college, which is when I finally decided to take it a little more seriously. Four years later with a minor in music performance in hand, I ran out of time to play as my career in software development took priority. I found time to play occasionally, but nothing structured. I didn't have time for orchestral play or to commit to chamber music. In 1998 I moved from New York to Kansas City to take on an even greater job challenge. This left even less time for music. I tried private lessons again, but my work travel schedule made it very hard to keep up a practice regimen.
In 2002 I started playing with the Olathe Community Orchestra. I reasoned that one rehearsal a week plus a few hours of practice was something that I could fit in, and it did. I managed to work my travel schedule to keep me home most Thursday nights for rehearsals during the season.
In 2003 I heard about an open jam session in Lawrence, Kansas that was part of the annual Fiddling and Picking championship held there. I'd never played my violin as a fiddle before and had no idea how I would do. I figured if I showed up and was embarrassingly bad that I was unlikely to see any of the other participants again anyway, so it was safe. This was a turning point in my playing. I've been finding and attending jams ever since and continue to play in the community orchestra. I eventually worked my violin into my travel and would seek out jam sessions while traveling for work.
It was the pain of finding jam sessions in other cities that led to the creation of folkjam.org. My friend Shawn and I have enjoyed building and using this site. I hope you enjoy it too.
- Member for
- 11 years 4 weeks
rss feed of these contributions
- "Whiskey Just After Breakfast" contra dance/Irish/Old Time tune jam sessionThis is a recurring jamMonthly on 2nd Saturday, 3rd Saturday, 4th SaturdayContributed by scott.mclewin on Fri, 28 Aug 2009
- Afterburner jam session following the Saturday night JAM Festival concertsThis is a single session jamContributed by scott.mclewin on Wed, 28 May 2008
- Afterburner jam session following the Friday night JAM Festival concertsThis is a single session jamContributed by scott.mclewin on Wed, 28 May 2008
- Friday afternoon free open jam at the JAM FestivalThis is a single session jamContributed by scott.mclewin on Wed, 28 May 2008
- Bill Monroe Memorial Bean Blossom Bluegrass FestivalThis is a festivalContributed by scott.mclewin on Sun, 15 Oct 2006
- Oklahoma City Traditional Music Association Monthly JamThis is a recurring jamMonthly on 1st SaturdayContributed by scott.mclewin on Fri, 15 Sep 2006
- All City Acoustic Music Jam Session and Block PartyThis is a single session jamContributed by scott.mclewin on Thu, 14 Sep 2006
- Southeast Nebraska County Music Association Jam and ShowThis is a recurring jamMonthly on 2nd SundayContributed by scott.mclewin on Tue, 12 Sep 2006
- Kansas State Fiddling & Picking Championships Weekend - Open Acoustic Jam SessionThis is a single session jamContributed by scott.mclewin on Thu, 3 Aug 2006
- Acoustic Music Jam at St. Peters Community and Arts CenterThis is a recurring jamWeekly on WednesdayContributed by scott.mclewin on Tue, 1 Aug 2006
- Heart of America Bluegrass and Old Time Music (HABOT) Bluegrass show and JamThis is a recurring jamMonthly on 3rd FridayContributed by scott.mclewin on Sun, 30 Jul 2006
- Dave Lizor's Monthly Acoustic Bluegrass (and more) JamThis is a recurring jamMonthly on 2nd SaturdayContributed by scott.mclewin on Sun, 30 Jul 2006
- Americana's Acoustic Jam at "Signs of Life" in LawrenceThis is a recurring jamWeekly on WednesdayContributed by scott.mclewin on Sun, 30 Jul 2006