What style would you say I play?

4 replies [Last post]
Groups: None

I can do some traditional flatpick, and fingerstyle by the book if I have the book that is, (I do read music). But when it comes to my own music I kind of let myself go as far as the literal definitions are concerned and combine strumming with a little of this and that, and I don’t use a pick either. I have been invited to a few bluegrass jams lately (new for me), and haven’t played out for a few years now, and when I did we either covered, or rehearsed hours on end before playing. A question that seems to come up a lot is what style do you play. My response is usually, whatever you would like from me, if I know what you are playing. That of course is usually met with the “do you know”, and being new to this genre, of course I don’t. I got myself a couple of bluegrass books but find precious little as far as the tunes that have been mentioned, besides the open mics and jams I have visited recently are not following much form other than the basic chord patterns which should present no problem. I have played a pretty wide gamut of blues and ballads but it’s tough to put a name to a lot of my stuff. The boogy stuff is pretty obvious, but even in that I find myself filling some bass lines as well as strum patterns. I put down a couple short quickies through audacity with a 6 and a 12 string. I’ll attach the link below for the soundclick page. If you could take a moment to have a listen and let me know if I lean more towards flatick, fingerstyle or who the h… knows, I’d sure appreciate it.

http://www.soundclick.com/bands/default.cfm?bandID=797065

Commenting on this Forum topic is closed.

style???

sorry i did not chase all of your music but in listening to your boogie in my opinion i would say "awsome rythem " you play alot like me and when i hear someone "flatpickin" or "fingerstyle" i am ashmed of how i play (not really,but i know i have a long way to go) so i just keep trying and stay happy with what i do
sounds great
randy

looking for ,old rock, country ,bluegrass, gospel

Thanks, I can sit with a

Thanks, I can sit with a book and sight read the staffed notes, and chord it as written. But when just jumping in and winging it the old time rock is all that I seem to come up with, which is not very acceptable as far as I can tell. Went to an open mic tonight, mostly fingerstyle, but great players, more folk than bluegrass, I was wowed. But the guy who ripped it up and had everyone on there feet did Clapton's 60ish Crossroads (better than Clapton IMHO, and I've seen him). So go figure, there were a few beatles tunes too and Doc Watson stuff. It seemed the reels and jigs that were played were only about 25%. I guess I just need to keep going to these things andget a feel for the styles.

Larrivee DV-09
Taylor T5C2-12 Koa
'73 Granada Modified
Kids got the others

I'm kind of new to playing the guitar, only have about a year in, but I've *listened* to a lot of music, even though I can't really tell how a lot of it is being done. That said, I have two comments. 1) Most good musicians are hard to fit to a category. How would you categorize Tommy Emmanuel? He plays anything from jazz to blues to pop to rock to experimental. He uses a thumb pick most of the time, but sometimes not. He doesn't flatpick, which is about all you can say about his "style." 2) If I had to put a name to your style, I'd say you play line over chord, or perhaps line over rhythm. Sometimes it's the melody line, sometimes it's the base line, but from what little I have heard you play a line with a chord fill.

Any help?

Thanks for your response,

Thanks for your response, you're right about identifying styles, just a common question that I think morphs over the years. I used to play a lot many years ago, stalled for a few years and now I am back to getting up to speed. Florida is definately a mixed bag of choices in styles. I see you're in the same neck of the woods so to speak. Wide divirsity of stlyes, and it's a question that comes up in conversation alot. I'd love to learn fingerpicking, but at my age it may take a while. I have been trying to get some exposure in the bluegrass and folk circles, but alas, hard to find functioning jams that newbies can be exposed too. The open mic performances in Safety Harbor, and the sweetwater performances have been good the few times my wife and I visited, but I am still on the outside looking in, if you know what I mean. You are pretty much right on as far as my own description of my stylings, only I refer to it as corrupted overlays. I also have a habit of taking covers and reorchestrating them to fit what I feel comfortable with (which, btw infuriates many purists who do them note for note), but I holler my heart out and have a good time. Just hard to find a way into organized social playing and learning the genres out there.

Larrivee DV-09
Taylor T5C2-12 Koa
'73 Granada Modified
Kids got the others

User login

Find local musicians and jams through folkjam.

• Improve your skills - play
  • Promote your local jams
  • Join/start local groups
  • Connect with local musicians
  • Receive details of new jams via email

Play well with others

Recent comments