music in illinois

13 replies [Last post]
Groups: None
music in illinois

hi guys i was wondering if any one can help! im planing a trip to illinois coming from liverpool england this spring and i realy enjoy my blue grass folk oldtime blues music etc and was wondering if any body knew any good clubs and bars to go to to watch some live music and of course any one whos up for a jam. if anybody could post a comment that would be gratly apreciated! thanks guys maby i will see you soon many thnaks griff

Commenting on this Forum topic is closed.

Illinois

If you are near Central Illinois, I know of several open Jams involving bluegrass, gospel, and country/bluegrass mix. If you are way up in Chicago, can't help you. Let me know where you will be close to and I can get you a list.

BlueGrass Music near St. Louis MO

We really like this band called Floyd and the Barbers. They sometimes play at the City Museum on Fridays, they will be at Highland Art Fair in Highland IL in June, and other venues around St. Louis. Check out their music at:
http://www.myspace.com/floydandthebarbers

Also, there is a great blue grass weekend in Sept at Wildwood Springs lodge. Not in spring time, but its a good venue and its only about 2 hours from St. Louis in real bluegrass country: the Ozarks! Here is the link to that info (note that they also have other bands there during the spring/summer):
http://www.wildwoodspringslodge.com/concert10/index.html

Sometimes there are jams at historic Cahokia Courthouse. You will have to contact them via their website at: http://www.state.il.us/hpa/hs/cahokia_courthouse.htm

Finally, George Portz and his Friends of BlueGrass is an excellent local band. (plus I thought I heard that Alison Kraus took lessons from George when she was younger). Anyway, George puts on quite a show! http://www.georgeportz.com/

There are also several jams listed on folkjam. Good luck and hope you enjoy your spring trip and find some good local music to listen too!

illinois

hey steve yeah ill be around central illinois at some point so if you wana hook up and have a jam that would be graet, what songs do you like to play? ive only been playing 3 years and im new to bluegrass and similar stiles so if you knew any good songs to learn i can do taht then we can jam and wach some gigs if you like. thanks for the mesage steve its a great help

thanks very much becky! ill

thanks very much becky! ill check out the links

central illinois

Every third Monday of each month is an open Jam at the Lock Stock and Barrel in Decatur. It is a eating and drinking establishment near Millikin University. Every second Sunday of the Month is a open Jam at Rock Springs Center near Decatur. Mostly bluegrass and gospel played at those jams but no one is a purist and everyone friendly. Every Wednesday night in Arthur is the gunny sack review. The is a hoot with some amplified instruments and a drummer. Pretty much everything played from Gospel, rockabilly, and bluegrass. That runs from 7 to after 10. There are others scattered about which are one time Jams. All these are regular jams. Folk Jam site has more listed but I haven't yet made some of those. I heard every Tuesday Jam in Urbana is well attended. I would recommend you learning a few songs you like as all these people are good at playing along if you know song. Otherwise learn to use a Capo, that simplifies everything.

Groups: Bluescityleon
Suburban Jam?

Does anyone know of a regular jam in the Chicago NW Suburbs?

suburban jam

Log onto NIBA (northern illinois bluegrass association website) click jams on menu this might help.. Remember to always pick on someone better than yourself lol

Groups: Bluescityleon
Recordings?

Do any of these jams ever get recorded, and if so, where can I find some to listen to?

If you can make it over to

If you can make it over to Central Indiana, you can visit a fine bluegrass establishment called the Mouse Trap. It might be a 2 hour drive, but if you are coming all the way from England then it might be worth it. Email me if you make it there!

Derick
Techie, mnui.com

Quick Weight Loss

hey steve yes unwell end up being about central the state of illinois at some point so if you wana connect and also have a jam that would be graet, exactly what songs do you prefer to perform? ive just been enjoying 3 many years and i'm a new comer to bluegrass as well as similar stiles therefore if you knew any great tunes to find out i can do taht after that we can jam as well as wach some gigs in the event you like. thanks for your mesage dorrie its a great help

ive only been playing 3 years

ive only been playing 3 years and im new to bluegrass and similar stiles so if you knew any good songs to learn i can do taht then we can jam and wach some gigs if you like. thanks for the mesage steve its a great help.

tunes

Belinda, Always like to find new people to play music with. I am not a purist, so I will try just about anything. I have recently been experimenting with playing the blues on my banjo. I play with various jam groups and the range is from gospel, hillbilly rock, bluegrass, country, and newgrass. Steve Martin is playing next Tuesday with a group nearby and we had Bela Fleck in the area a couple weeks ago. If you find yourself in area holler and hopefully something will be going on.

i love illinois , the best

i love illinois , the best place to hang on and live life king size !!! i love you illinois !!!

User login

Find local musicians and jams through folkjam.

• Improve your skills - play
  • Promote your local jams
  • Join/start local groups
  • Connect with local musicians
  • Receive details of new jams via email

Play well with others

Recent comments