Family learning dobro, ukulele, and guitar

1 reply [Last post]
Groups: None
Family learning dobro, ukulele, and guitar

So, this probably isn't the right forum for this but I've been searching all over and I thought...maybe some friendly musicians here could show some mercy and point me in the right direction!

This year my new husband, stepson and I got inspired by the Alaska Folk Festival and set up a goal to try and play in it next year (it's a very open festival with 15 minute sets no matter how well known or unknown you are and pretty much everyone who wants to play in it can).

I'm looking for some basic, well-known blue grass or folk songs with the musical notation for different instrument that would sound good if we played as a trio.

I play rhythm guitar and I'm learning the dobro (I'm getting better at finger picking) plus I'm learning to play basic musical saw.

My husband plays basic guitar and ukulele though he's picking things up very quickly and is doing lots of scales and interested in learning lead parts etc.

My step-son is only 10 and has pretty small hands and only knows a few basic guitar chords but he has a great voice and a lot of enthusiasm (especially for train related songs).

So, I'm guessing somewhere we could find sheet music/book/website for simple songs that have (for example) a part for me doing rhythm on dobro, a part for my step-son doing rhythm on ukulele or guitar, and a lead part for my husband on guitar (but again, we're not musically advanced so they'd have to be pretty straight forward).

Any ideas?

We have some good momentum going but we're all off on our own doing different stuff at this point.

Thanks for any and all suggestions!!!!!

Commenting on this Forum topic is closed.

Groups: Jersey Jam
I was going to say that you

Homespun Tapes series of book + CD lessons called All-Star Bluegrasss Jam Along, with separate books for guitar, mandolin, banjo, fiddle, & bass, all with the same songs and all inter-related. At least, that's what I started to say...

Then realized that there's no dobro specialty, so you're probably on your own to interpret that from the guitar version. (Or depending on your tuning, maybe the banjo version? 5-string is normally tuned, I think, to G-D-G-B-D low-to high, although that first, short "low" G is normally tuned way up, to an octave higher than the other G string; same as guitar 1st-string/3rd-fret.)

No ukulele either, but that might also be interpreted from the guitar lessons. Uke is tuned like a guitar capoed at the 5th fret (again with that low "D" string =actually I guess it's a G= tuned high), so you'd need to transpose any music up a 4th or down a 5th. While that may seem complicated, for chording it just means that playing, say, the G, C, & D7 guitar chord SHAPES on uke results in the SOUND of the C, F, & G7 chords, all nicely compatible. Ukelele chord shapes ARE the same as the 4 high strings of guitar chord shapes, just transposed.

By the way, while TABLATURE varies between instruments, actual sheet-music, in standard notation, is the same for all. If you're currently learning to read music, adapting becomes much easier. (Lots of mandolin players would rather work from violin arrangements than those written specifically -and maybe simplified- for mando).

Homespun has other "jam along" DVDs, not so much intended to teach a specific instrument as to teach song structure & communication, easing you into playing with others. All of these a geared toward the more basic type of song that you're looking for.

Sounds like a great family project. Good luck!

- Ed

User login

Find local musicians and jams through folkjam.

• Improve your skills - play
  • Promote your local jams
  • Join/start local groups
  • Connect with local musicians
  • Receive details of new jams via email

Play well with others

Recent comments