1923 Gibson F5 'Lloyd Loar' Mandolin

9 replies [Last post]
Groups: None
1923 Gibson F5 'Lloyd Loar' Mandolin

For Sale. Previously owned and played by the late bluegrass pioneer, Joe Val (of Joe Val & The New England Bg Boys). See ad on Mandolin Cafe at mandolincafe.com and look for photo link there as well. Serious Buyers Only need reply. Anonymity Guaranteed.

Commenting on this Forum topic is closed.

Is this the one that was

Is this the one that was found in a house in Kansas recently by the daughters of the man who played it?

Scott

No...this isn't Kansas

No...this is Serial # 72207. It has been cared for and played by myself since purchasing from the wife of bluegrass pioneer Joe Val in New England. If you're not familiar with Joe (who passed away in 1985) check out "Diamond Joe" on Rounder Records. An amazing voice -- and real bluegrass music! Go to Mandolin Cafe for more details and mando history. That mando in Kansas is not in this Loar's league. Thanks for asking.

For acoustic music info in Connecticut see:
www.ctbluegrass.org

Having moved from just

Having moved from just outside NYC to Kansas City a decade ago, your "No...this isn't Kansas" title had me grinning.

After I posted the question I realized it was likely not the same one.

Here's the link for those interested. That's a great looking instrument.

http://www.mandolincafe.com/cgi-bin/classifieds/classifieds.cgi?search_a...

Scott

1923 F-5 "Lloyd Loar" Gibson Mandolin

I am surprised that this post has not generated more comment, especially from other mandolin players. I understand that a Lloyd Loar can command more than $100,000.00 due to the rarity and quality sound. I don't know if this one would command such a price. I wonder if all the repairs made to it would effect the sound? The sound on Joe Val's Rounder recordings seems to me to be very good on the mandolin breaks. I looked on u-tube for a clip of him playing, but did not find one. I have just about everything he did on vinyl. I hope that someone that can really pick the mandolin winds up with this instrument. Maybe some wealthy person can buy it and give it to a young and up and coming player. Would anyone out there like to have this instrument? It would be nice to hear it played again on recordings or live at a BG festival.

Gordie

Groups: Jersey Jam
Lloyd Loar Mandolin

Gordie -

You said: "I'm surprised that this post has not generated more comment, especially from other mandolin players..."

With all due respect to Scott McLewin and the fine job that he does of getting musicians together here, THE on-line place for mando-specific discussion is The Mandolin Cafe, run by Scott Tichnor (spell?). The participants are uniformly rabid and there's probably a new posting, on average, about once a minute. Due to the volume & array of interests, there are at least a dozen Topic headings and several threads w/in each are active at any given time.

Use the search engine and you'll find that this specific mandolin, and probably every other one of the 200+ known Lloyd Loars, have been discussed in detail over the past decade or so. There's even a link to a separate site (don't recall the name) dedicated to ONLY photos and history of each of these rare & expensive mandolins.

The going price had been up above $200K, about a year ago. Even saw an asking price of $1.5M, but doubt that it sold. A recently-discovered one that was noted earlier in this thread, and in need of some repair (meaning probably $10K to $20K worth), was being offered for around $170K, as best I recall. (After much discussion, the Cafe participants persuaded the finder to NOT have it reparied now, but leave the choice of repair person to the eventual purchaser - a wise decision).

Sure it sounds outrageous, but there are 1,100+ known Stradivarius violins and they go for many, MANY TIMES more than these lowly mandolins!

- Ed

Groups: Jersey Jam
Lloyd Loar Mandolin

Gordie -

You said: "I'm surprised that this post has not generated more comment, especially from other mandolin players..."

With all due respect to Scott McLewin and the fine job that he does of getting musicians together here, THE on-line place for mando-specific discussion is The Mandolin Cafe, run by Scott Tichnor (spell?). The participants are uniformly rabid and there's probably a new posting, on average, about once a minute. Due to the volume & array of interests, there are at least a dozen Topic headings and several threads w/in each are active at any given time.

Use the search engine and you'll find that this specific mandolin, and probably every other one of the 200+ known Lloyd Loars, have been discussed in detail over the past decade or so. There's even a link to a separate site (don't recall the name) dedicated to ONLY photos and history of each of these rare & expensive mandolins.

The going price had been up above $200K, about a year ago. Even saw an asking price of $1.5M, but doubt that it sold. A recently-discovered one that was noted earlier in this thread, and in need of some repair (meaning probably $10K to $20K worth), was being offered for around $170K, as best I recall. (After much discussion, the Cafe participants persuaded the finder to NOT have it reparied now, but leave the choice of repair person to the eventual purchaser - a wise decision).

Sure it sounds outrageous, but there are 1,100+ known Stradivarius violins and they go for many, MANY TIMES more than these lowly mandolins!

- Ed

No disrespect taken at all

No disrespect taken at all Ed. The Mandolin Cafe is absolutely where discussion of mandolins lights up. Scott T is a friend who lives not so far away (about 20 miles). He's done a great job on the cafe and has been shared what he learned in building it up with Shawn and I as we got fokjam started three years ago.

The site you are likely thinking of with the pictures of older mandolins is http://www.mandolinarchive.com/

Scott

In reference to the mention

In reference to the mention of "all the repairs"...

Let the record show that this mandolin is in its original condition with no major "repairs". Merely some minor maintainance.

It found its way to a music store around 1970 in excellent shape -- minus one side of the tuning pegs. The fingerboard was re-glued (with the original fruitwood shim intact) by David Harvey at Gibson in October 2006. It has been refretted once. It now possesses a Loar copy set of silver tuners by Waverly (although they screwed me by over-charging me at $600 if I wanted them -- just because they could!)

That's it; no other issues and no real "repairs".

Old #72207 is as structurally sound as the day Lloyd laid it in its case for sale.

You may want to consider put

You may want to consider put it up for consignment. I know that Sam Werbin at Elderly Instruments has sold a number of Loars and has an international clientele.

Unfortunately, many of these wonderful instruments are purchased as investments. They end up in a display case somewhere and are never played again.

User login

Find local musicians and jams through folkjam.

• Improve your skills - play
  • Promote your local jams
  • Join/start local groups
  • Connect with local musicians
  • Receive details of new jams via email

Play well with others

Recent comments